Top Stories Today: 6.28.2013
The top five most clicked stories on Statesman online at 5 p.m.
- AISD will not offer health benefits to domestic partners: Austin school district officials previously announced in March that they would provide insurance benefits to same-sex partners and unmarried heterosexual couples beginning Sept. 1. The district’s chief human resources officer notified employees in a letter Thursday that the district would not extend the benefits after all.
- Armstong: I’m still record Tour de France winner: In an interview with Le Monde, Lance Armstrong said he is still the race’s record holder and that he doesn’t believe he could have won without doping.
- Area’s first Trader Joe’s sets September opening: Central Texans awaiting the arrival of the region’s first Trader Joe’s store will get their wish on Sept. 20, when the specialty grocer is scheduled to open its doors in Rollingwood.
- Murder charge dropped; police say shooting was self-defense: A man charged with murder has been released from jail and Austin police are now saying a fatal shooting that took place Wednesday morning was in self-defense.
- Texas City twins, a WR and RB, commit to Longhorns: The Longhorns did their own version of the Texas Two-Step Thursday evening when they added Texas City twins Armanti and D’Onta Foreman to their 2014 recruiting class.